How do I store Biltong and Jerkey
Biltong and Beef Jekery are perishable products and you should really pay attention to their storage. Mold and spoilage is something that you should always avoid with meat! Therefore, read our storage tips carefully.
Biltong and Jerkey are a salted and dried product but it is still a meat product and should be treated as such.
A few basic storage tips:
- Keep it in a dry and cool place, for example in the refrigerator.
- Do not store the product in direct sunlight and/or in a hot environment.
- Keep it in a paper bag, because then the meat can ‘breathe’. Do not use a plastic bag, then the oxygen in the bag will not be refreshed and the meat will spoil very quickly. An exception is storage in vacuum in a suitable bag or in a freezer plastic bag if you freeze it.
- Let the biltong “air out” every now and then if you keep the pieces in the paper bag.
- Whole pieces of biltong or jerkey can be stored for a longer period of time in a paper bag or hung in a dry, well-ventilated area.
- Freshly chopped biltong or jerkey is best consumed immediately, or stored for a few days in a paper bag.
- Do not store biltong or jerkey in a paper bag for more than 3 days, especially if it is a bit more humid, because there is a high chance of mold forming.
- Do you want to keep Biltong or Beefv Jerkey longer? Then freezing in a plastic bag (preferably vacuum) is the best option. After thawing, store the product in a paper bag and eat it within 2 days.
- High humidity accelerates the process of mold formation/decay, and this is exactly what happens often in the Netherlands. So pay attention to that.
- Frozen Biltong or Beef jerkey has a shelf life of 3 months in the freezer.