Adapted from Charcuterie and Cooking by Hand
- Makes 5 pounds of sausage
- 4 pounds/800 grams boneless pork shoulder butt
- 1 pound/450 grams pork back fat
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1–1/2 tablespoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ice water
- Hier vind u de benodigdheden.
- feet hog casings, soaked in tepid water for at least 30 minutes, then flushed with running water
- Cut the pork and fat into roughly 1 inch dice, and mix together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and place it in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes, it will feel nearly frozen.
- Remove the meat from the freezer and combine well with the rest of the ingredients, except the water.
- Grind the meat through a 1/4 inch plate, the large die if you are using the KitchenAide grinder attachment, into a bowl set in ice.
- Add the water to the meat mixture and mix with the paddle attachment of the stand mixer for about 1 minute on medium speed. The mixture should be thoroughly combined and quite sticky.
- Immediately stuff the sausage into the hog casings, pinch and and twist to form 6-inch links. Alternately, you can shape the sausage into patties. The sausage can now be refrigerated or wrapped well and frozen until ready to cook.
- Fat: 22