- Makes 3 pounds of bacon
- 3 pounds pork belly, skin on or off
- 1/2 cup Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns, ground
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- star anise pods, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Instacure No. 1
- Hier vind u de benodigdheden.
- Prep time: 5 days
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Moisten the pork belly with the Shaoxing wine. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and rub into the meat, making sure all surfaces are coated.
- Put the pork into a large sealable plastic bag, or vacuum seal bag, or just a plastic or glass container just about large enough to contain it. Sprinkle over any remaining cure, seal the container up and put in the fridge.
- Every day for 5 days, turn the bacon over. After 5 days, check to see if the bacon is firm. If it is not firm throughout, give it up to another 2 days in the fridge.
- Take the bacon out, rinse off the cure and pat it dry. Set the bacon out on a rack to dry, preferably in a cool, airy place. Let it sit for 1-3 hours.
- Fire up the smoker. What wood you use is up to you. The Chinese use cypress, according to Dunlop. I used oak and liked it a lot. I smoked my bacon at 140°F for 3 hours, but you can go hotter, cooler or longer if you want.
- Let the bacon cool to room temperature and then store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 9 months.
- Fat: 30